My ear infection has… cleared up! I could tell that I was on the mend when I started cooking lots of new recipes over the weekend and I was feeling much more like myself. My hearing hasn’t fully returned so I can’t get my trainers out to go for a run just yet because I still feel dizzy, but that doesn’t stop me cooking!
Here are some of the new recipes I have tried over the last few days:
– homemade naan to accompany veg curry. The bread machine did the kneading! I used wholemeal plain flour and made 3 with desiccated coconut and raisins and 2 with poppy seeds. Obviously not as good as takeaway naan but perhaps a touch healthier.
– spiced carrot and lentil soup in the slow cooker with the leftover naan. Great way to use up leftover veg (I added a pepper that was lurking at the bottom of the fridge) and you add milk after cooking so it is creamy but also helps it cool down a bit. Our son loved it.
– freezer burritos. Ok all I had to do was microwave these, but it was the first time we’d tried them. We had them with some carrot and cucumber sticks and my first attempt at homemade guacamole. I didn’t used to like avocado but I saw them on the market and thought I’d give them another chance, especially given they are really good for you!
– American-style pancakes from Davina’s book, 5 Weeks to Sugar Free. Hubby said they were better than my normal pancakes! (Book review to follow later this week)
– sugar free cookies from a friend’s blog. She’s giving the no sugar thing a whirl and is really good at creating recipes, so I keep stealing them! I used 75g oats, 25g plain puffed rice and Whole Earth 3 nut butter which I have just discovered and absolutely LOVE. I may have eaten 3 cookies within an hour…
– chocolate mousse from Deliciously Ella. I read about her blog in the January Waitrose Kitchen magazine and she has some amazing recipes. Can’t wait to try her sweet potato brownies! The chocolate mousse is made with avocado, dates and bananas. I misread 2 teaspoons for 2 tablespoons of almond butter (a bit sad about this as I don’t have much left!), just used one large banana and didn’t add the optional ingredients, just a drizzle of maple syrup. But hubby and I enjoyed them, and it made 3 rather than 2 ramekins worth, so there’s another in the fridge for tonight.